Best way to manage DUPLICATES???

Alex Stueber
Alex Stueber Member Posts: 89
First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
edited April 15 in Sales CRM #1

Hey, Pipedrivers I would like some suggestions here and also discuss the way some of you manage DUPLICATES.

We have a client that created lots of duplicates, to be more exact 700+ only in one category!

Now comes the tricky part, Merging them 🤯!

Doing one by one is really a pain, and PD should develop a simpler way to manage large amounts of Duplicates. 
(Don't ask me how they got this much data duplicated, coz I asked myself the same question 🤔)

Now in the contacts view would be lovely if we could have a "FILTER" where we could only see the Duplicates that already exists in the Merging section.

It would be much easier to bulk edit data. 
Conditions should allow me to set up this in a way "excel" does. Having an = value in general not just to a specific work like the "contains" condition.

Or even in the "Merge Duplicates" page, it should allow us to Filter information better in there, where I could export the Duplicate data for example.   

Anyway, how many of you already had to deal with large Merging Duplicates?

@Mike van der Valk any tips on this one?  @Bernd Auer I know you might have some tricks under your sleeves? 
Cheers

Happy Pipedays everyone!

Answers

• Suzanne Van de Ven
    Suzanne Van de Ven Member Posts: 29
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2022 #2

I have the same question that I was coming in to ask. I have 15k duplicates to merge and right now I'm merging duplicates manually. PLEASE BE A WAY!!!

• Alex Stueber
    Alex Stueber Member Posts: 89
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited December 2020 #3

I have the same question that I was coming in to ask. I have 15k duplicates to merge and right now I'm merging duplicates manually. PLEASE BE A WAY!!!

Wow, 15K duplicates @Suzanne Van de Ven 
    Yes, you need more help then me :)
    Cheers,

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2020 #4

Hi @Alex Stueber and @Suzanne Van de Ven !

Our native Merge Duplicates feature does allow to merge more than 1 duplicate of a Person or Organization at a time, all you need to do is select them from the proposed list. That being said, we appreciate your input and use it to give our teams thinking points to be considered in the future.

An alternative is using an external integration from our Marketplace like Dedupely  but keep in mind that this service may be charged for by Dedupely. 

Hope this helps make you life easier! 😉

PS - For urgent or technical issues our Support team is always the most adequate and quickest channel of communication, as Community is more focused on exchanging knowledge, experiences and ideas. Thank you!

• Suzanne Van de Ven
    Suzanne Van de Ven Member Posts: 29
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2020 #5

Thanks. That's helpful. I will be signing up for the free trial of dedupely and the one month option for $25. I hope it's not an issue for us going forward. 

• Don Litzenberg_39212
    Don Litzenberg_39212 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited April 2021 #6

I also am having a difficult time with duplicates (bad sync caused them).  In my case, the Merge Duplicates section of PD does not show any duplicates and seems stuck on showing only merged dupes.  When I clear those, they come back every time I revisit the page (they aren't really clearing).  But, I can't see any duplicates to merge on this page anymore.  If I go into a contact that has a duplicate, I see it on the individual contact page and can merge from there, however, it requires finding the duplicate contacts first.  At this point, to try and clean up my data set, I am literally looking at all contacts, sorting by name, and then comparing email addresses as I scroll to find them.  Manual merge ensues.

• Nomas Prime
    Nomas Prime Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited December 2022 #7

Trialling Pipedrive and the duplicate management is by far the biggest shortcoming I've encountered so far:

• You can't see the details of each duplicate
    • You have to do the mental modelling of the merge in your head
    • There's no control over the way records are merged
    • The preview isn't, well, even a preview
  • @Inês Batata , has this changed? I don't see an option to select multiple duplicates. I would be fine selecting them and merging with one click, but each merge takes three clicks (Preview--Merge--Merge) and some waiting time. That makes for slow going on ~500 dupes.

• Ryan Bozeman
    Ryan Bozeman Member Posts: 12
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper Integration Partner

Hey @Alex Stueber_20061,

Pipedrive will monitor duplicates using the Merge Duplicates feature. But yes, you do have to merge the duplicates on a case-by-case basis using that feature.

If you need to merge in bulk, you'll either need to custom code something for the Pipedrive API.

I wanted also to mention that Insycle (and full disclosure, I work for them) could help you to catch more duplicates. Insycle allows you to use any Pipedrive field as a potential matching field, along with advanced matching features such as Exact/similar matching. You also have full control over the resulting merged master record, using rules for the master record as a whole, and even setting rules for retaining data on a field-by-field basis.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Ryan

• PD_annoyed
    PD_annoyed Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

As near as I can tell some features in PipeDrive are deliberately crippled so you have to use a paid third-party app, (which I'm sure they get a kickback for). The duplicates is one, also QBO sync. In both cases it's clear that the functionality is there but they apparently deliberately chose to not bother with literally a few extra lines of code to make it full-featured. It really leaves a bad taste in the mouth. :(