Custom Tender number mapped to Deal ID during data import?

Andrew Aitken_2074
Andrew Aitken_2074 Member Posts: 6
First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

Hi

A business I work with is just getting setup on Pipedrive, and wants to import existing deals from a tender register spreadsheet. 

Each tender they've submitted in the past is captured in this excel sheet, and has a unique number.  This number is a simple, sequential number, i.e. if the last tender submitted had tender number 4142, then the next tender they submit will be given the number 4143. 

We want to import this tender register as Deals in Pipedrive. 

Our challenge is figuring out how this tender numbering system can be continued once we migrate off the spreadsheet and move fully over to Pipedrive. It's important to maintain this numbering system as the tender numbers are used in other systems such as the billing system. 

Do we map the Deal ID in Pipedrive to the tender number in the spreadsheet during the data import process? If we do this, how will Pipedrive allocate Deal ID's for new deals once we've imported the existing deals? Will it automatically pick up the last Deal ID value and continue the sequencing? 

Or should we create a custom Deal Field called Tender Number? However, if we do this, I'm concerned about people manually creating the next number in the sequence - there's too much likelihood of the sequence not being maintained due to human error. How could we setup a system generated, or automated, tender number to ensure integrity of the data sequence?

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited May 2022 #2

Hi @Andrew 

It's unfortunately not possible to manipulate or set ID's in Pipedrive itself. The first deal will be ID 1, after it's 2, etc..
    So the "tender number" can't be matched to that.

We don't have any other fields in Pipedrive that can't be edited when you have access to a deal. So theres 2 ways I'd suggest you to go. Either add the tender number in the deal title for more visibility. Or indeed create a custom deal field where you store this in.

In both cases unfortunately you'd still need someone to manually check the sequence.

• Andrew Aitken_2074
    Andrew Aitken_2074 Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited April 2020 #3

Hi @Andrew 

It's unfortunately not possible to manipulate or set ID's in Pipedrive itself. The first deal will be ID 1, after it's 2, etc..

We don't have any other fields in Pipedrive that can't be edited when you have access to a deal. So theres 2 ways I'd suggest you to go. Either add the tender number in the deal title for more visibility. Or indeed create a custom deal field where you store this in.

In both cases unfortunately you'd still need someone to manually check the sequence.

Hi @Mike van der Valk 

Thanks so much for this input. I'll chat to the guys and see if they can find a way to switch over to Pipedrive's Deal ID numbering system, instead of continuing with their existing number sequence. 

I do see that Pipedrive starts with Deal ID number 1 and then simply increments by 1 for each new deal added, so it's pretty easy to understand Pipedrive's Deal ID sequencing pattern. 

Thanks for your input. 

Regards,

Andrew 

• Bob Sutcliffe
    Bob Sutcliffe Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2022 #4

Hi @Andrew 

Hi.. useful discussion on deal numbers. we need unique sequential numbers so what is the best way for the deal ID to be displayed when viewing deals. Thanks.