Would you find it helpful to have multiple organizations tied to a contact?

Options

Comments

• Rock Stevens
    Rock Stevens Member Posts: 24
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #92
    Options
    Dana said:

Is this feature (multiple organizations for one contact) actively being developed? 

Personally, I would be happy to turn off a whole host of other features and functionality to get this one feature if needed due to info not meshing well with multiple orgs. 

I'm on day 1 of my trial a few hours into testing the way we would use Pipedrive and already seeing that the absence of this feature likely makes it unusable for my company, too much confusion and duplication of information. Otherwise, Pipedrive seems to have exactly the features we're looking for, some of them highly specific, so I hope there is a solution in the works!

Mike van der Valk !

@Inês Batata & @Mike van der Valk  look at how complicated this is becoming for PipeDrive users due to a foundational issue with PipeDrive not matching how the business world works in reality. 

Is there any way to escalate this from a "backlog" to "in development"? This is a major foundational flaw limiting PipeDrive users. We are wanting the CRM to reflect the business world as it exists in reality. 

While these workarounds are temporarily viable, it will be PAINFUL to switch from this workaround once the real solution is deployed. I say rip the band-aid off now and deliver results on what PipeDrive users have been asking for over a year! 

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Member Posts: 373
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #93
    Options
    Dana said:

Is this feature (multiple organizations for one contact) actively being developed? 

Personally, I would be happy to turn off a whole host of other features and functionality to get this one feature if needed due to info not meshing well with multiple orgs. 

I'm on day 1 of my trial a few hours into testing the way we would use Pipedrive and already seeing that the absence of this feature likely makes it unusable for my company, too much confusion and duplication of information. Otherwise, Pipedrive seems to have exactly the features we're looking for, some of them highly specific, so I hope there is a solution in the works!

Mike van der Valk !

Here is the thing. Pipedrive is about moving an opportunity through the process of being a closed deal. It's not really a CRM as much as it is a sales pipeline manager. Although it's scope seems to be expanding which is actually a bit concerning to me. Invoices, products, etc. I sure hope they make it modular because if I can't turn stuff off and keep me and others from viewing things I DON'T want to see I will find something clean and simple as pipedrive was 2 years ago. People overcomplicate stuff and want it to do way more than it should. NO BLOAT. I want to see improvement to mentions way before Invoicing, products, or even documents. Mail should have been improved way before products or invoicing integration or an improved automation interface. I mean next people are going to want it to create work orders and mail is still going to be mostly unusable.

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #94
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

I think I have come to believe that a person records relationship to a deal is more fundamental than them being linked to multiple organizations. There are so many ways to deal with that situation and in most cases a person being a decision maker to purchase at actual multiple organizations is the exception and not the rule. He who buys for Apple isn't also buying for Microsoft unless he works at a 3rd company which in reality is the organization he should be associated with. 

I mean people want to track that person x that works at company 1 is also on the board of company 2? Seriously who wants to manage all those details in a way that's more complicated than pinning a note or putting a note next to their name: John Smith (also on board at Co. 2)

• Rock Stevens
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #95
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Adding a note to the name field is a lazy solution. 

People may be associated with more than one organization, and they need to be mapped (not just a note). When a person is clicked on, all deals, organizations, and activities associated with that person should appear. 

Assuming since it's not needed for one specific scenario, somehow discredits all other scenarios, is ... well ... shortsighted. 

Let's use a real-life example: One person who buys real estate. He owns multiple properties. Each property must have a different LLC Name (organization).  When you click on the person's name, all associated LLC's (organizations) should appear and they should be mapped - not just notes. 

• A person can be mapped to multiple deals. 
    • A person can be mapped to multiple activities. 
    • A person should also be mapped to multiple organizations. 

That's how the business world works and the platform should support/reflect the reality of those relationships. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #96
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

The way the business world works is that nothing happens until a sale occurs and being able to associate a person directly to multiple properties in a CRM program or even on a sheet of paper for that matter does absolutely nothing to close a sale. 

• Rock Stevens
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #97
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Elaborate and make your point more clearly. 

I'm confused on what you're a proponent of on this thread. You joined a post to discuss allowing one person mapped to multiple companies... what exactly are you proposing? 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #98
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

I chimed in to offer a solution to Dana. It's not as much about being a proponent for something as it is understanding why this limitation exists in Pipedrive. It's way more often that a person relates to a single organization than the other way around.

So trying to deal with duplicate records and emails and activities that associate with a single person and multiple companies would just duplicate a whole lot of stuff if John smith was associated with 5 organizations. 

I mean click on a person record in pipedrive that is associated with a single organization and what do you want to see? You want to see a list of 10 organizations down the left hand side? 

We don't live in a world where more often a person works at 2, 3, 4, 5, organizations. 

And in your example before that person that buys those properties works for a parent company that buys them. There are no people working directly for those real estate llc's that he/she creates.

• Rock Stevens
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #99
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Why would there be duplicate records, emails, and activities?

Emails and activities for Organization A are different than emails and activities for Organizatiom B ... both owned by the same person with no parent company. The property LLC (organization) is the highest level, no LLC (organization) hierarchically higher. 

And yes ability to see multiple organizations under one person for those that need it.... if you don't need it, don't use it! It wouldn't change how PD is being used for those not using it, but solves a major issue for several people that need it.

If it hurts no one and helps others, why wouldn't we want to upgrade and build the platform to be more robust? 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #100
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

I think it's more complicated than that. If you have an appointment scheduled with a person that is associated with 5 organizations all 5 of those organizations timelines are going to display an appointment because the person is associated with all 5 organizations. Just 1 example. 

• Rock Stevens
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #101
    Options
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

John Smith

• Organization A
      • Deal 1
        • Email 1
        • Activity 1
    • Organization B
      • Deal 2
        • Email 2
        • Activity 2
    • Organization C
      • Deal 3
        • Email 3
        • Activity 3

Why would they ever be crossed? Activity 3 belongs to deal 3 and only related to organization c, it would never show up under any other deal or organization ... however it would show up if you clicked on the person. 

A person should be able to associate with multiple organizations, multiple deals, multiple emails, and multiple activities. They would be categorized or "siloed" in the aforementioned fashion.

Clicking on Organization C, should not show deals, emails, or activities from any other organization John Smith also owns. 

Are you suggesting people are not allowed to own more than one company? 

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2023 #102
    Options

Hi everyone.

Our honest thank-you for your candid and detailed input on how you use Pipedrive for this and how you'd ideally like it to work for you. This kind of feedback is very valuable for us in terms of research and product development and although unfortunately I can't promise anything, I've brought it directly to the attention of some internal key people.

Like Mike mentioned above, this does not go unnoticed by our teams and there may be news of improvements in the future. We'll make sure to post news of those here in the community.

Thank you also to @Brad Krause  for his availability to share tips and workarounds with other members. 

Knowing it's still not a perfect solution, I'd also like to bring your attention to an often overlooked feature, which is Related Organizations; this lets you create organizational hierarchies in Pipedrive.

I understand your frustrations and will discuss your comments with our team and share your concerns. Thank you for your understanding.

• Ivor Tarrant
    Ivor Tarrant Member Posts: 4
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2023 #103
    Options

We work with NHS contacts who are key contacts for multple organisations depending on the role they are performing. E,G a Doctor may be a GP at a practice, a decision maker on a commissioning organisation, or a project consultant on a hospital or care Home etc etc.

Therefore a contact can have multiple roles with multiple organisations. How do we set this up.

• Jay Mankita
    Jay Mankita Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2023 #104
    Options

Me too!

• Clayton Louis Ferrara
    Clayton Louis Ferrara Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #105
    Options

Hi everyone.

Our honest thank-you for your candid and detailed input on how you use Pipedrive for this and how you'd ideally like it to work for you. This kind of feedback is very valuable for us in terms of research and product development and although unfortunately I can't promise anything, I've brought it directly to the attention of some internal key people.

Like Mike mentioned above, this does not go unnoticed by our teams and there may be news of improvements in the future. We'll make sure to post news of those here in the community.

Thank you also to @Brad Krause  for his availability to share tips and workarounds with other members. 

Knowing it's still not a perfect solution, I'd also like to bring your attention to an often overlooked feature, which is Related Organizations; this lets you create organizational hierarchies in Pipedrive.

I understand your frustrations and will discuss your comments with our team and share your concerns. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Inês, 

Thank you for looking into this!

I use Pipedrive primarily for nonprofit business formation. I have found that it is really hard to keep up with all the data due to this issue. Many of our clients end up forming multiple nonprofits, but I am unable to add one client to their multiple organizations. The other issue is that they each have different titles and email addresses as it relates to each organization. For privacy reasons, it would be helpful to enable a primary email address for each organization. I definitely would appriciate it for these issues to get resolved so that all the data is clean and tidy! Also, related organizations do not help me at all because, unlike LLC's and Corporations, nonprofits do not usually have parent or subsidiary companies. Thank you for all your attention to this and please let me know if there is any further feedback I may be able to provide! 

• Vera Rosado
    Vera Rosado Pipedrive Team Posts: 26 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic Pipedrive Team
    edited July 2023 #106
    Options

Hi everyone.

Hey @Clayton Louis Ferrara 
    Thank you for your feedback about this :) 
    Since the same contact will have a different email and also a different title to different organizations, would it make sense to have "duplicate" contacts and have them linked accordingly with the organization the email address belongs? 
    As for the "primary" email for organizations you can create a custom field Text type and use it to add the email address. 

Learn a bit more about custom fields in our knowledge base:
    What types of custom fields are there?

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know! 

Have a great day :) 

• Manuel Oliveira
    Manuel Oliveira Admin Posts: 1,071 COMMUNITY MANAGER
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #107
    Options

Hi @Ivor Tarrant ! While that is not possible in Pipedrive, a workaround for that could be creating custom fields. For example one or more custom fields for "Role" and for "Organisation" inside the person. You can find out all about the different possible custom fields here.

• Ivor Tarrant
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2023 #108
    Options

Hi @Ivor Tarrant ! While that is not possible in Pipedrive, a workaround for that could be creating custom fields. For example one or more custom fields for "Role" and for "Organisation" inside the person. You can find out all about the different possible custom fields here.

Hi 

Thanks

However if an alternative Organisation were enetered into a Custom Field you can't hyperlink to that organisation and create the foward backward links to be able to move around in the way other Pipedrive fields allow.

I see many people have asked similar questions and this for me is a Show-stopper on using Pipedrive (which I otherwise absolutely love!). Can you promise this is coming down the pipeline to us any time soon? 

• Lukas Spieldiener
    Lukas Spieldiener Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #109
    Options

Would like to add that this function is essential for us too, so to help expedite ;)

• Laura Maier
    Laura Maier Member Posts: 23
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2023 #110
    Options

Hi @Michelle Martin the only way is to set companies linked together, for example as parent compan.

To do that go into the organization detail and select ”related organizations” in the left column. You will be able to select the type of company relation.

exactly my point. the organisations are not related but the person holds a function across several organisations - example in NHS CCGs and NHS Trusts.

I have jus commented on similar threads here

(21) How do you associate a contact to multiple organisations (pipedrive.com)

and here

(21) Connecting Contacts to Organisations (pipedrive.com)

@Brad Krause @Mike van der Valk 

• Bakus Admin
    Bakus Admin Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #111
    Options

Hello,

Bumping this up as it hasn't got any update for 4 months.

This feature is of utmost importance for us too. Our leads and clients appear to own several businesses, which all are important to us and have their own deals.

The impossibility of linking several organizations to one person basically renders the duplicate feature void for us (as we must keep loads of person's duplicates to operate). And that's a shame.

We've read the workarounds of Brad Krause (and we thank him for that), which are what they are: workarounds, whereas one person having the charge and ownership of several different organizations should be the easier way.

I'll be waiting to hear about any progress in that area.

Thanks

• Bret Kobel
    Bret Kobel Member Posts: 13
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2023 #112
    Options

Hi everyone.

@Vera Rosado  Not really.  I have one person/one email and deals for 4 organizations.  You have the person's company email and they are board members of several professional organizations that do not have individual domains.  As such all 4 deals are associated with 1 email - aka a real mess.  It forces me to keep good notes of who is connected with the deal instead of using the system properly.

• Bret Kobel
    Bret Kobel Member Posts: 13
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2023 #113
    Options

Hello,

Bumping this up as it hasn't got any update for 4 months.

This feature is of utmost importance for us too. Our leads and clients appear to own several businesses, which all are important to us and have their own deals.

The impossibility of linking several organizations to one person basically renders the duplicate feature void for us (as we must keep loads of person's duplicates to operate). And that's a shame.

We've read the workarounds of Brad Krause (and we thank him for that), which are what they are: workarounds, whereas one person having the charge and ownership of several different organizations should be the easier way.

I'll be waiting to hear about any progress in that area.

Thanks

Bump!

• Daniel Høiberg Lambrecht
    Daniel Høiberg Lambrecht Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #114
    Options

Bump. really needed..

• Mike Sorensen
    Mike Sorensen Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #115
    Options

Unfortunately we could not wait any longer for this feature and are migrating to Hubspot which handles it nicely.  

• Rakesh
    Rakesh Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #116
    Options

Unfortunately we could not wait any longer for this feature and are migrating to Hubspot which handles it nicely.  

Hubspot does not have this feature either, a person cannot be linked to multiple companies. Or do I have this wrong?

• mo7e
    mo7e Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2023 #117
    Options

Hubspot did have a beta of this feature back in April, so may be live by now. We were about to flick the switch to use Pipedrive, but this feature is a serious hindrance, so we may go with Hubspot.

Hubspot multiple orgs per contact beta: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Associate-one-contact-to-multiple-companies/idi-p/19236

• Ivor Tarrant
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2023 #121
    Options

I have now realised that you can create custom fields that hyperlink to another person or another organisation and thus you can easily move forward and backwards to adjoined organisations. The only hindrance is that you have to create the link from both ends pointing to each other and if you want multiple linked organisations you will have to have multiple pre-designed custom fields; in my case I have added two linked people fields and two linked organisations fields, should be enough for our requirement but would be cumbersome if you wanted many linked organisations, a minor headache but doable and has helped solve my problem.